Oily skin is the most high maintenance skin type as it is most prone to dust sticking onto your face causing acne, blackheads and whiteheads, enlarged or clogged pores etc. Oily skin can take you through tough times as the sebaceous glands are over-active, producing excess sebum, contributing to a shiny, greasy-looking face . but having oily skin is also a blessing in disguise as we age a lot later and we get fine lines on our face a lot later than those who have dry/normal skin.
Here are a few super awesome tricks that can really help you keep those oils in check :
Disclaimer: I’m not a skin expert. I have super oily skin and these things
really worked for me. Also,this is my opinion.
1. Cleansing : Do NOT forget to cleanse twice daily. We have hyperactive sebaceous glands that produce oils faster than any other skin type. This also means that we attract a lot of dirt and pollution that can cause some serious. The cleanser should be mild and gel based. Using cream based cleansers can really add on oils to your skin. I love to use the Tea Tree Face wash from The Body Shop.
2. Alcohol Free Toner: Toning is very essential as it firms and tightens your skin. But wait.NEVER USE ALCOHOL based toners. Infact never use anything that has alcohol in it ,on your face. With time your skin will start sagging and you would look like 50 at 35. We really do not want that right ? I personally use the FabIndia Tea Tree toner.
3. Moisturizer: Just because we produce more oil does not mean we do not need a moisturizer. It is very very essential to moisturize your skin so that the sebaceous glands stay supple and do not produce even more oils to maintain the pH balance of your skin. Also, make sure that your moisturizer is matte and oil free. There is no point in slapping more oil into your face. I love the Plum Green Tea Mattifying Moisturizer.
4. Ice-Cube Facial : Wrap 2 to 3 ice cubes in a muslin cloth and rub for 2 to 3 minutes,targetting mostly the oily areas of your skin. Ice facial works wonders for oily skin, it shrinks the size of large pores, reduces pimples, under eye puffiness, hydrates, boost blood circulation and helps improves skin glow.This is an easy tip to make oily skin glow in summer.
5. Tissue Paper / Blotting paper : Buy a pack of tissue papers or maybe when you visit a restaurant , grab the tissues from there and keep them in your purse. Just when you feel that your face is getting oily,grab a tissue and gently dab it on your face. Do not rub it,just press the paper against your skin and this will get rid of the excess oil on your face leaving it matt.
6. Coconut Oil: This hack might look weird but it is tried and tested and it worked wonders on my skin. Get a small bottle of virgin Coconut oil (please do not use Parachute hair oil). Just before hitting bed, apply 3-4 drops of the same on your face and leave overnight. This will hydrate and moisten your skin and hence your skin will not produce excess oils. Also, coconut oil helps in getting rid of acne marks and also brightens the skin.
7. Avoid Cream based makeup : With the foundation being an exception, avoid cream based makeup and use powder based instead. Ditch that cream eyeshadow or blush and go for powder ones. The cream formula has oils and it would add on layers of oil on your already oily face. Use a mattyfying foundation instead of a dewy one to cut on the shine.
8. Lemon & Honey-Perfect Facial Cleanser : A mixture of lemon and honey is one of the simple and effective homemade beauty tips to make oily skin glow.Simply mix 1 tbsp of honey with 2 tsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice and using a cotton ball dab onto the face and neck.Massage for 3 to 4 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.Lemon has an instant brightening effect on the skin, it removes the excess oil, buildup of dirt and the antibacterial properties in honey fights the bacteria causing pimples, soothes and rejuvenates the skin
I hope this article was helpful. Comment if you want to see my Holy Grail products and my lipstick suggestions 🙂